[orca-list] speech-dispatcher talking over itself

Hi,

I'm not entirely sure if this is the right list for this question, so I apologize in advance if there is a more appropriate forum to discuss this issue.

To give you some background on my setup, I am running Ubuntu 8.10 with PulseAudio disabled, and everything configured to use Alsa.

The versions of orca and speech-dispatcher I am using are both the ones pre-packaged for Ubuntu, rather than the versions out of SVN.

speech-dispatcher is configured as a system wide service, and is using flite as the default speech engine (although I have also tried Espeak with the same result).

The issue I am having is that speech-dispatcher isn't interrupting itself when scrolling through a menu for example, and is just talking over itself, so often it can be trying to say two or three things at once, which is quite hard to listen to.

This is specific to using speech-dispatcher, I do not see the same behaviour with gnome-speech.

Otherwise speech-dispatcher seems very responsive, so I would prefer to stick with it, rather than changing back to gnome-speech.

Is there something I can change in the speech-dispatcher config, or is there anything else I can try in order to improve speech-dispatchers handling of interrupting speech, both to silence it and to make sure that it isn't trying to talk over itself.

Any feedback on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mitch