[orca-list] Off topic discussions

Hi All:

I really like the fact that the orca-list is full of friendly, constructive people helping each other. This is fantastic and shows we have a great community.

However, debugging/griping/learning about topics other than Orca are a bit off topic. I'm at a loss for what to do here. On one hand, it's people helping people, which is good. On the other hand, it adds messages that are considered inappropriate discussions by others.

Here is my semi-strong opinion...

<opinion mode=semi-strong>
For example, moral diatribes about Linux vs. Windows are perhaps interesting and entertaining to some people dipping their toes into the open source space for the first time, but they are also old, tired, boring, uninsightful, and unconstructive to others who have been around the block a few times. I'd prefer those kinds of discussions be held somewhere else. Instead, let's keep our focus on a problem we can solve: making Orca a compelling application for users.

Another example is questions about how audio or accessibility is integrated/included on a particular operating system distribution (OpenSolaris, Ubuntu, GRML, Vinux/Vibuntu, Joe Schmoe's Change the World Distro That Looks Like Everyone Else's Distro But It's Named Joe Schmoe So It Must Be A Better Distro). They should be held elsewhere.

If audio or accessibility doesn't work on your favorite distribution of the week, report it to the operating system distribution. They are the ones who need to solve those kinds of integration problems and they are the ones who need to know about it. If you have a link to the bug report that you filed with the operating distribution, you might post it here as a means to help other people know that the problem is known and has been logged. Diagnosis and debugging an OS integration issue, however, probably should take place with the OS distribution and not on the Orca list.

Issues or suggestions for using Orca to access Thunderbird, OOo, FF, GNOME in general, etc., or people wanting to become part of the Orca solution, however, are definitely welcome. That's the kind of focus we need.
</opinion>

Will