Re: [orca-list] Vinux 1.3 Released!

Hi Luke,

The .orbitrc file could possibly be a security risk. Exactly why I can't remember, but I remember discussing this with some fellow Ubuntu developers, and they didn't like that file being created, even for accessibility installs. I'll reconsider adding this now, since a better solution has not presented itself, and it has been quite a while since this discussion was had, over a couple of years ago at least I think.

What about the sudoers file? Could the necessary modification to that be implemented in Jaunty?

And with regards to both of these issues, are you discussing them with just the Ubuntu folks or also the Gnome developers? Surely the best solution would involve making future releases of Gnome be more adaptable for accessibility than it currently is so that people could choose any Linux distro they wanted that used Gnome and not have any fiddling about to do.

As for the installer, this should be fixed as of the latest alpha release, alpha 4, http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/jaunty. I spent a couple of days a few weeks back fixing it, but only for install mode only. I.e, when the live CD boots, press enter to pass the language selection, press down arrow once to choose the install Ubuntu option, press F5 and choose your accessibility profile, then press enter to boot the system. For best results, I suggest you perhaps wait a day, and fetch a daily cd image, http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current, as espeak uses PortAudio 19 now, so ALSA will be used.

Great, thanks.

Now that Espeak will use Alsa via PortAudio 19, I have been pondering killing PulseAudio for accessibility installs, since I know it does no good for good speech latency, however since the way PulseAudio starts has changed somewhat from hardy, I need to think rather carefully about the best approach to do this, to the point where some configuration hooks will have to be put into the pulseaudio package itself to honour this setup. However, that is made easier because I am also the Ubuntu PulseAudio maintainer. :) Hopefully that will help users who use speakup with software speech.

Is there a recommended way of killing Pulse in Intrepid? I've heard lots of weird and wonderful suggestions for how to do this (and have managed it myself but with some interesting side affects)? Alternatively is there a reasonably simple way of running it as Halem suggested during the init process? I have no problem with Pulse while in Gnome (in fact I like it) but I need speech from the text console with or without Gnome running so it's gotta be Pulse either right from the start or not at all it seems.

Thanks.
Paul

Luke