Re: [orca-list] pidgin 2.6.4 and orca

Hi Zack:

I haven't had a chance to test pidgin 2.6.4. Unlike the stock market, past performance from the pidgin team is usually a good indicator of future performance, which means they are likely to break accessibility when they update the user interface. ;-)

I believe the only way we can change this predictable performance is by having users engage the pidgin team directly -- mainstream developers need to develop an awareness of accessibility and they need to make it part of their design, development, and testing discipline.

Can you please log a bug with the Pidgin project and CC me? I can certainly do it, but I think the message is much more powerful if it comes from an end user.

http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/TipsForBugReports

Will

Zachary Kline wrote:
Hi All,
I made the rather unpleasant discovery today that ArchLinux upgrading
pidgin to 2.6.4 broke the orca script for it completely.  I have orca
2.28.1 at the moment from the arch repository.
I wonder if this sort of breakage is reason enough to run orca from the
source repository?  I've never done it before, and so am not quite sure
what to expect.  Might anybody be able to give me a few tips on how to
go about it?  Steve, I believe you're already doing this sort of thing?
I presume I first need to remove the Arch package of orca to avoid
contamination.
Thanks much for any advice,
Zack.