[orca-list] Orca on 2.4 with sounds enabled?

I'm running Gentoo stable, with Gnome and Orca both at 2.4. I enabled sounds for the desktop, and now Orca crashes shortly after starting. Is that a known issue? And, if yes, is there a way to disable sounds from outside of Gnome so Orca will actually come up and stay up? I'd upgrade to 2.6 and see if that fixes the issue but I don't trust software not marked stable on this particular laptop. Feedback is appreciated. Thank you.