Re: [orca-list] Emacs and Orca again

Another datapoint on this.  First note that I'm using FC-10 which
means gnome-2-24 and emacs-22.3, not exactly the latest and greatest.
However:
I usually run emacs/orca as Bart originally suggested:
Previously I had managed to get them to play together by starting emacs from
the console and exporting the DISPLAY variable.  For reasons unknown to me
this used to work around the issue of hangs in orca when emacs was started.
Now I've upgraded to Ubuntu Karmic and this no longer works.
-- Parenthetically I don't understand the relationship between this
and Bart's next message:
The difference is that you are running emacs on a console tty.
What I am talking about is running emacs on the gnome desktop.
Which is not what I understood from the first message but I digress.
I usually
boot to runlevel 3
start emacspeak on virtual console 1
switch to VC2
login then run startx
All proceeds happily until:
For various reasons I need to restart the emacs on VC1
then everything hangs.
This happened even when I remembered to add the -nw flag to the
emacspeak startup script.  Tentative conclusion: order seems to
matter.

I used to run emacs directly under sawfish rather than in
gnome-terminal and that worked fine but was also years ago.
Getting emacs back as a self-voicing application under orca would
certainly be nice. Is the bad emacs/gnome interaction bug logged
somewhere? The closest I see are the Ubuntu bugs 185366 and 183245
which don't appear to have been resolved.
cheers
Peter

Peter Rayner: LSCE/IPSL, Laboratoire CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
address: Bat. 701 LSCE - CEA de Saclay
Orme des Merisiers, 91191 Gif/Yvette
work: +33  (1) 69 08 88 11;     mobile: +33 (6) 75 46 56 52;     fax: +33 (1) 69 08 77 16
mail-to: peter rayner lsce ipsl fr
web: http://www-lsce.cea.fr/Pisp/52/peter.rayner.html