[orca-list] orca, gnome, and vbetool

Hi all,
I've been a console linux user for a while now, off and on, and have
recently begun experimenting with Orca.  I thought I'd subscribe to this list
and ask my first question, since I've nothing else to do at the moment.
I know vbetool can turn off my laptop's screen at the console quite
effectively.  Gnome seems to have its own power management system though,
and I was wondering how the two would interact?  Is there a way to keep
my screen off at all times, console and GUI?
Any advice or information would be appreciated.
All the best,
zack.