[orca-list] Gnome-Speech and Cepstral Swift

I just installed a fresh Slackware 12.1 plus dropline-gnome.  I
finally got Orca talking with espeak through gnome-speech and so far
that part seems to be working fine.

But I would like to be able to use Cepstral Swift from time to time
but I can't get gnome-speech or test-speech to work with it.  Here is
the background info.  I have swift installed in the default location
of /opt/swift.  I'm using the default ALSA modules for I believe
alsa-1.15 something; presently using a kernel 2.6.24.5 but that will
soon be upgraded when I get around to recompile.  I at this time do
not have the OSS support included in the kernel but do have alsa-oss
package installed so if I do 'aoss swift "speak something" it talks
fine but I can't figure out any to get gnome-speech or test-speech to
pick it up.  I even tried putting in a script in /usr/local/bin called
swift and made the script use the aoss command prefix but that trick
didn't work either.  So my question is, is there any way to use
gnome-speech to drive swift without having to compile in OSS into the
kernel? Is there any way to get gnome-speech to use the alsa-oss
libraries?

I should also mention that I pulled the latest gnome-speech from svn
and did a complete build and that enabled it to find out espeak and
recognize accordingly.

Does anyone have ideas on how to get around this?