Re: [orca-list] Different versions of Orca

Hi James,

On Sat, 2009-04-04 at 19:13 +0100, James & Nash wrote:
Hi folks,

This is in no way meant to be a slight against the Orca team, but I
have a question about the different Orca versions. I hope it will not
be taken in any negative way.
Went through the question and I see you have a good point.

I think Ubuntu  8.10 uses Gnome 2.24 desktop is this correct? Can I
ask then, why are the many different versions of Orca? I am confused
by this as people have said that  it is always better to use the
version of Orca with whichever desktop we are using i.e. 9.04 2.26 so
Orca 2.26.
Of course.  The reason is that orca is a part of gnome and depends on
the accessibility features inside the widgets comprising the gtk.  So
the bug fixes, enhancements etc which are made to a particular gnome
version have to be matched with the version of orca which keeps up with
the respective changes at the other end.

Also the ATK and at-spi version have to be the right ones.

My only wish would be that there are backports for lower versions of
gnome.

For example, I am still using hardy (ubuntu 8.04.2 ) and since it is LTS
I would stick to it unless 9.04 is seriously offering some thing to
change my accessibility experience.
I am really happy with orca 2.23.92 on my 8.04 machine.  But at the same
time I would be happy if I get the new enhancements to orca which can co
exist with my current stable gnome.  By this I mean that orca team will
be naturally forced to exclude those features of orca which rely on the
new things in say, gnome2.26 or so, but if gnome itself does some good
backporting of features then possibility of my wish getting fulfilled is
great.

happy hacking.
Krishnakant.