[orca-list] desktop and menus not speaking

Hi all, I have a machine running Ubuntu Hardy, and am having a problem with it. After updating last night (even trying a dist-upgrade just a few minutes ago), my desktop and menus refuse to speak. The weirdness of this whole thing is, that if I enter into Thunderbird, or go to gnome-terminal, I get speech in those programs. When I try and close them, I hear goodbye and no speech. This machine is running 2.23.90pre, and the only reason it hasn't been updated any further, is that I recall some discussion about not being able to compile orca 2.23.90 or later, because of (I think it was libtool, inittool) being out of date. Was there ever a solution? Is there a way to successfully compile orca 2.24.0 successfully without upgrading to intrepid alpha? Although I'm not totally against doing that, the person using this machine loves her ttsynth, and I have yet to find a way to get speech-dispatcher running without the ttsynth module crashing frequently. It's running perfectly under hardy and s-d 0.6.6. Any suggestions? If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please let me know ASAP.

Thanks much,

Guy