Re: [orca-list] Problems with speech in Intrepid

Hi David:

These are very strange problems. It sounds almost as though you have two orca's running. If you look at the system processes, do you notice anything strange?

Will

David E. Price wrote:
Hi,
I'm having lots of problems with speech in Intrepid. I've been spending the last several days of non-work time trying to sort out these problems. These problems occur with both Cepstral and eSpeak. These problems include: - Orca often repeats everything that it says. This behavior seems to be based on the size of the block of text sent to the synthesizer. For instance, if I'm typing words, I will hear each word echoed. However, if I am in gnome-terminal and I type "ls", I hear the entire listing then hear the entire listing a second time. This is dependent on the Orca start--if Orca starts and everything is repeated, the behavior will continue until I quit Orca; if Orca starts and there is no repetition initially, the repetitions will not occur during that session. An interesting side effect of this problem is that, when it is occurring, I can't quit Orca using the Quit Orca dialog (Orca_modifier-q)--I need to use the command line "Orca -q" to quit. Right now, the repetition behavior seems to be occurring about 60-70% of the time. - If I use the Orca Preferences dialog to change the speech synthesizer, I often end up with both synthesizers speaking after activating either the Apply or OK buttons. (I've yet to capture this in a debug log... whenever I'm capturing the debug log, the problem doesn't occur. I'll try a few more times to get this recorded.) - When I log off, I hear the reset strings sent out through the emacspeak speech server to my DECTalk Express (not being used by Orca), then the current voice (or both voices) will say the first question of the text setup. These two messages are spoken in parallel (given that they are using two or three different synthesizers), but the emacspeak messages always start first. The two things that I have left to try are to see if I can get the emacspeak speech server running under Orca, then see if these behaviors persist. If they do not, then I will rebuild gnome-speech from source. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks, dave