Re: [orca-list] Could someone please explain how to install tesseract-ocr for Ubuntu?

On Pungenday, day 34 of Bureaucracy 3174, Charlie Dorff wrote:
Hi...  Could someone please explain how to install tesseract-ocr for
Ubuntu? I tried both synaptic package manager and the terminal but
after it installs I can't find tesseract-ocr in the menu.

So you don't want to know how to install, but how to launch Tesseract. :-)

Tesseract requires the name of a tiff image passed as the first parameter
and an output file prefix as the second parameter. The result can then
be found in <prefix>.txt.

Assuming you have an image file named scan.tif, then the command

  tesseract scan.tif scan

will perform an OCR on the contents of scan.tif, the output can then be
 found in scan.txt.

  Henning