Re: [orca-list] Writing Regression Test Question

On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 01:13:27PM -0400, Willie Walker wrote:
Hi Brian:

I asked this question in IRC yesterday, but didn't get a response so
I am trying the mailing list.  So I apologize if someone is seeing
this question twice.

Sorry about that.  The very very small Orca team has been heads down trying
to solve known issues for the GNOME 2.24 freezes coming up.  So, we have
been in hiding a little bit.

not a problem

I am writing some Orca regression tests to get familiar with Orca's
test harness so we can use it on our Mono WinForms accessibility
project (http://www.mono-project.com/Accessibility).

Cool!

Notice that the last second argument of the AssertPresentationAction
method has duplicate BRAILLE LINE and VISIBLE strings; this is the
only way the test will pass.  The strange part is that when running
Orca with orca.debug.LEVEL_INFO set, I don't see this duplication
when executing the key commands manually.  Any ideas why this would
happen?

In looking at the Orca code, it looks to me that the lines are the result
of the automatic exiting of flat review when you cause something in the
interface to get focus.  That is, prior to pressing tab, flat review was
enabled and on the label above the buttons.  When you pressed tab, focus
was given to a button.  As it does with this and other events (e.g., caret
movement events), Orca automatically gets out of flat review mode and shows
the current object with focus.  It then continues to process the focus
event and shows the object with focus (again).

That helps a lot!  Thanks!

We could potentially change this double-braille behavior in Orca so you
don't have to put multiple lines in your tests.  It's very close to the end
of the GNOME 2.24 cycle, however, and I'd rather leave the double-braille
behavior in there and remain conservative for now.  If you feel very
strongly about it, though, please file a bug in bugzilla and we'll track
it.

Now that I know that cause and know what to expect I am not too
concerned with it.  It does contradict the instructions on the
Writing Tests wiki, as instructs testers to use the
orca.debug.LEVEL_INFO output; if you consider it a bug I will be
happy to report it (not expecting it to be fixed for the next
release).

Hope this helps!

Very much, thanks again!

Brian G. Merrell