Re: [orca-list] Does anyone know of a program for backing upa computer that works with orca?

What I see here is a big difference between dd and something like tar. Dd will back up an entire partition or perhaps the whole machine if desired. Where one could do the same thing with tar but it is a file by file backup; it isn't an image backup for sure. If you need to restore selected files from your backup, then tar or something similar would be the only way to go. Plus tar could be used to do an incremental or periodic backup.

Now I suppos one could select indifidual files from a dd backed up image if that image could be mounted in a loop device; I hadn't thought of that earlier.

Janina Sajka wrote:
I believe the difference arguing for the use of dd is that it will give
you an image that can be used to restore/create a bootable partition. As
I noted in my email about dd, it is indeed advisable to compress that
image.

Perhaps there's something I'm missing about tar?

Janina

Jim Barbour writes:
So, I'm not sure what the spirit of the question is.  There are lots
of programs you can use to take a snapshot of your data.

I recommend tar as a big step of from dd, since you restore it on top
of an existing filesystem.  The output from tar will also take less
space than the output from dd.

I've included a small tutorial on tar below.

However, neither dd nor tar nor other bitmover programs like rsync,
cp, and cpio are backup programs.  They're missing any kind of
scheduling, data integrity checking, etc.   You can script around the
bitmover tools mentioned above to get there.  Or, you can try
something like amanda.

Any of these applications should work fine using a terminal and/or web
browser.

Now, a little more on tar. Try...

cd /
outfile=$( /bin/date "+/home/root-%Y-%m-%d.tar.bz2" )
tar --one-file-system cfj - . > "$outfile"

To create /home/root-2008-08-25.tar.bz2 (if run on August 25th, 2008)
with a bzip'ed copy of /.

You can recover single files from it like this...

cd /
tar xpfj /home/root-2008-08-25.tar.bz2 ./etc/passwd

to recover the password file.

You can leave off ./etc/passwd to recover all files.

You can also do the recovery in a directory other than / to not
clobber the existing /etc/passwd file

Hope this helps,

Jim