[orca-list] problems running speech-dispatcher

I am trying to change from Gnome Speech to speech-dispatcher in Hardy
but I am having problems.
The Speech-dispatcher directory is there, doing sudo apt-get install
pythonspeech-d didn't work, I even tried the command with speechd, I did
sudo speech-dispatcher from a gnome terminal and also the spd-say
command and that seemed to give me speech from the terminal when orca
wasn't running but when I re-started orca after leaving Gnome Terminal
speech-dispatcher didn't show up in the preferences menu.
I then logged out and back in again, left speech on in Orca, went to the
gnome terminal, typed sudo speech-dispatcher and got an error message
something about pid file and no permision so obviously something isn't
working.
I even just tried to type speech.conf and speechd.conf or whatever in
the hope of trying to configure speech-dispatcher but no joy there as I
got command not found error messages.
What is going wrong?