Re: [orca-list] a suggestion to solve pdf reading with orca.

On 10/10/2008, Scott Berry <sberry northlc com> wrote:
      Hello there,

I find this a wonderful idea.  A couple of things though that should be
in the main release in my view would be:

1. pdf2html implementation

poppler utils already has pdf to html (without the spaces ).
and it will not be difficult to integrate it.
2.  pdf2txt implementation

Same as above.

Lastly,  why not some integration with xsane so we could also be able to
scan in to pdf for coworkers and such.  I think if this were to happen
this would be a very viable solution.  Also in later releases of the
program we could then do some integration right in to evince once all
the accessible issues have been addressed.

Yes, however the headings, fonts size and bold italics etc must be
reported so is the case with alignment.
Having proper access to pdf has one more big (and also practically
professional ) advantage to many many blind people.
Today we all know that latex with its classes like beamer have
excelent presentation generating capability.
As a side note, I often get very nice comments and overvelming
amaisment from people who see my presentations which I create using
latex and then convert it to pdf for a slide show.

Latex is some thing which can give blind people a reputation of "they
can really make professional quality, richly formatted and well
structured reports or presentation ".

Now talking about a pygtk based pdf reader will have one advantage
that we will be able ot read the pdf files.
But evince has a wonderful presentation mode which leaves me even more
wanting for accessibility in evince.

I also think once this
becomes a good solution heck why not include it in to Orca like Jaws
includes a FS reader component?

Yes indeed it is a great idea which even I shared in my first mail
starting this thread.

Now what we need to do is some couple of people amongst us (include me
in ) must talk wit the evince hackers in details in context of the bug
report pointed out by wili.  We can then decide whether fixing those
bugs to the extent of rudimentary accessibility take more time or will
writing a new reader consume more time.
And yes acrobat reader might or might not have accessibility, but
remember acrobat reader is not free software.
and we must not encourage proprietory softwares for best (and obvious ) reasons.
Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.