[orca-list] Some notes about using opensolaris, may be useful to others

Hello,
I have some notes about my experiences on trying to use opensolaris which may be useful to others. I probably should learn to use the Wiki, but as I haven't I felt here may be better than not at all.

First of all, I used the notes about accessible install at the opensolaris website, and things went fairly well as described there. I don't know if for the actual installation process I could add more. The only thing I could suggest is a note about how to alter the audio levels on the live CD, although this is fairly standard gnome stuff.

One problem I found on my installed system is that the audio levels were not being saved and so when ever I shutdown the machine it would not restore the volume settings next time I booted the machine. To solve this I used solmix (http://solmix.sf.net) which is a command line volume control which I added to the session start up (my command in the start up is
/usr/bin/solmix 10
use solmix -h for help message on usage). This solves that.

I mentioned before that eclipse is not available for opensolaris, I got that wrong, or at least you can create a suitable version. If you want eclipse on opensolaris look at solipse (http://code.google.com/p/solipse).

The package manager GUI tool is accessible, but I uestion how productive you would be with it as lists seem to be dynamically updated and so orca becomes slow to respond whilst navigating. I would suggest using pkg from the command line.

I have noticed some problems when orca has been set to automatically start. It seems sometimes multiple versions or something are being launched and that one of the instances doesn't seem to be the current user (as it seems to think it has no settings). When this occurs, it also seems to be that the version which is actually reading the screen finds some applications are inaccessible (standard applications like volume control, preferred applications, etc).

Also I haven't been able to get the included java access bridge working, I may try downloading another version and compiling it from source (still to be done).

Hope this is useful to someone.

Michael Whapples