[orca-list] Sound problem in Fedora 9

Hello, list!

I've recently installed a Fedora 9 system on an IBM Thinkpad X61. I
used a livecd for this, and then I groupinstalled "Gnome Desktop
Environment" to be sure to have all that stuff in place.

BTW, a strange thing is that, after the installation, the
/etc/modprobe.conf file is empty.

Playing sound from console works, after uninstalling pulseaudio as
suggested on speakupmodified.org. However, under GNOME, I have some
problems. The welcome sound for instance is not played. If I however
press alt-f2 and do mplayer file.wav, it plays fine. The same if I
use aplay. Here comes the real problem:

If I try to start orca --setup, and I previously have played something
e.g. with mplayer in the same session, the first message is spoken
from Orca. If, however, I start orca without playing some sounds
before that, orca doesn't speak at all.

To get sound working for all users under console, I edited
/etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms: I added

  <sound>=/dev/dsp* /dev/snd/*

and

  <console> 0666 <sound> 0600 root

Is there similar steps to perform to get sound working properly under
GNOME on a Fedora 9 system?

Lars