[orca-list] getting better synthesizers for Ubuntu?

I thought I heard that starting in Ubuntu Hardy, we can't recompile Gnome-speech any more to include something like TTSynth. I don't really like Espeak that well, it gets a person by when it's all that's around, but I'd like something else. What packages are they providing with the new speech audio system? I heard the choices are limited to Cepstral and Dec Talk, but since Phonix sells the older and newer Dec Talk, what are Ubuntu's new packages for Gnome-speech packaged for? Given the 3 original choices, I'd rather get TTSynth, but if recompiling Gnome-speech is no longer easy because of the new Pulse Audio thing, which version of Dec Talk would I have to use if I want to replace Espeak? I just thought I'd ask before I bought a license for something that won't end up being able to work.

Thanks.