[orca-list] Mor Problems Running Gparted

I'm still having problems running gparted from the ubuntu 8.04 live cd.  Can anyone tell me what I'm doing
wrong?  These
are the exact steps I'm following.  I know I could install ubuntu and manage the partitions as I'm
installing, as I've
done this previously, but if possible I'd like to manage things before the install.

1.  Boot ubuntu live cd
2.  go into gnome-terminal
3.  type:  sudo su - root
4.  type:  cat > ~/.orbitrc << EOf
5.  type:  ORBIIOPIPv4=1
6.  type:  ORBIIOPUNIX=0
7. type:  EOF
8.  edit the sudoers file by typing sudo visudo
9.  insert the line:

Defaults env_keep+="GTK_MODULES"
I insert that line under the defaults reset line. I then save the file.
10.  at the root prompt I type:  sudo gparted and I get an error that it can't open cd1  For some reason,
it's not
accessing my hard drives.  At other times I get an error that says can't open display.  I've googled gparted
and I found
something that said type:  gksudo gparted, but that didn't work either.  I really can't figure out where I'm
going wrong
here.  I've followed all instructions I've found, and that people have given me, but I just can't get this to
work.  I'm
hoping, that by typing out all the steps I've followed, maybe someone will see something that I'm missing.
Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Earle