[orca-list] The Partitioner In The Latest Version of Ubuntu

Hi all, I'm new to this list, and I'm hoping to get some good information from all of you out there. I installed the latest version of Ubuntu last week, and it seemed like all was well. Yesterday, I had to reformat my computer though, and I've now run into problems. I have put windows xp pro on my c drive, and when I tried to install ubuntu, it came back with an error message when I tried to choose the guided option to resize my c drive and install ubuntu. It took me into the manual partitioner, but I couldn't figure out exactly how to use it. Is it even usable with Orca? Since it won't let me install ubuntu on my c drive for some reason, I want to install to the d drive. The problem is, I have a partition of stuff on the d drive, that I really don't want to lose. Is it possible for me to use the partioner without sighted help, and accomplish what I want to accomplish? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am very knew to ubuntu and Orca, so step-by-step instructions would be helpful.

Thanks

Earle