Re: [orca-list] Mail client's and orca

Scott Rutkowski wrote:
Hi all.

I'm wondering what mail client works best with orca in
ubuntu?
I'm hearing people on the list are enjoying the
accessability of thunderbird compared to evolution. If so,
is the thunderbird experience similar to that of outlook or
outlook express?

Did you try Thunderbird under Windows? The Linux version compares best to the Windows counterpart.

Coming over from the windows platform, i'm looking for an
email client that will support exchange mail as well as
normal pop3 mail and possibly imap as well.

I didn't see exchange support in Thunderbird, but pop and imap work. Exchange can be used in Evolution.

Any good and bad points and reasons for choosing the client
your using would be greatly appreciated.
If the consensis is thunderbird, could someone also please
tell us how to use apt-get to obtain thunderbird?

Unfortunately you must use the nightly builds of Thunderbird, because the 2.x versions, you get over apt-get, are not accessible.
Visit:
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/latest-trunk/
to download the latest version. Choose the *.tar.bz2 file in the folder, and do after download:
tar xfjv thunderbird*.tar.bz2
Then run from a Gnome-terminal or from the run dialog:
thunderbird/thunderbird
Note: on the same URL you also find a Windows version.
Hermann