Re: [orca-list] gnome on enterprise linux

What's the version of gnome-session on your system? Is it earlier than 2.17? If so, you need to upgrade your gnome-session to versions later than 2.17. gnome-session before version 2.17 do not start at-spi-registryd. If you can not upgrade gnome-session, you can try to start at-spi-registryd by yourself. But in this case, all applications which are started before at-spi-registryd will not be accessible.

Regards,
Li

DON RAIKES oracle com wrote:
Hi all,

Sorry for the cross posting, but I am not sure which list is better suited to answer this problem.

I installed oracle enterprise linux 5.0.1 a while back.
Now I want to bring gnome/orca up to a more reasonable level rather than orca-1.0.

To this end, I followed the instructions at:
http://live.gnome.org/Orca/DownloadInstall

and all the compilations and installations worked just fine.

I set the /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility gconf key to true using gconftool-2, and ran startx.

After a short period and all the disk activity stopped, I pressed alt+f2 and typed orca.

nothing happened.
I checked my startx log file, and found the following messages:

Bonobo accessibility support initialized

(gnome-session:3945): atk-bridge-WARNING **: AT_SPI_REGISTRY was not started at session startup.

(gnome-session:3945): atk-bridge-WARNING **: IOR not set.

(gnome-session:3945): atk-bridge-WARNING **: Could not locate registry
SESSION_MANAGER=local/draikes.com:/tmp/.ICE-unix/3945

There are a lot more error messages from various applications all saying that the at_spi_registry was not
started.

Is there anything else I need to do to get the at-spi-registry daemon to start?

I know that el5 is pretty old, but I am required to use it for some of my work, and need to get orca to a
point where I can use it with the latest gnome-java-bridge and latest jdk's.