Re: [orca-list] orca and Hardy - no speech - ibmTTS dependancy

Well, for me, test-speech does work (tried espeak and IBMTTS and they both work from test-speech). Does your orca speak with espeak? I can't get speech at all. I just tried deleting my .orca tree from my home directory, hoping that it would restore my speech driver settings to use espeak instead of IBMTTS, thinking that this might be my issue. However, no joy and no speech.

-- Rich

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Hunt" <huntp ukonline co uk>
To: <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 4:25 PM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] orca and Hardy - no speech - ibmTTS dependancy

Hi,

I've been trying to get ttsynth to work on Hardy as well.  Although in my
case I installed Hardy from the live CD.

I downloaded ttsynth from the website and tried installing but it failed
because of the library you mention.  Simply installing
libstdc++2.10.glibc2.2 didn't do it.  I needed to (manually) download and
install gnome-speech-ibmtts (got it from the debian website) but this failed because of dependancy problems. Running "apt-get -f install" fixed most of
them but I still needed to download and install libgnome-speech-dev (again
from debian) to continue.  This failed to install however because of some
kind of conflict with the test-speech package also being part of another
already installed package, gnome-speech7 or something.

Dunno if this is relevant to your problem if you had ttsynth working on
Gutsy (and test-speech works for you) because I can't get ttsynth to talk at
all in Hardy.

Paul

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich Caloggero" <rjc MIT EDU>