Re: [orca-list] Punctuation, capital letters, exchange of characters and strings, generally error in the design of Orca

On 31 Mar, Hermann <meinelisten onlinehome de> wrote:

Having said that, I conclude that serving the needs of screen reader
users must be mainly the task of the screen reader developers. Are
you really willing to argue with each and every synth programer about
the behavior of his synth?

No.

Different synths provide different features in different ways.
But Orca, and other programs, want a standard set of features.

Therefore something needs to map the standard features to what the
different synths can do.

I think this is the job of the synth-drivers in Speech Dispatcher (and
Gnome Speech).

And do you really mean that the pronunciation of words/names is the
task of an application, and the programers should pay their main
attention to this?

I think noone has suggested this.

Are, for example, the developers of FF responsable, when Orca does
not speak a name correctly?

Is Orca responsible?  Or should the pronunciation correction dictionary
be handled in a central place, so that corrections apply not only to
Orca, but also other applications which use speech?

Or is that not applicable to screen reader users because all speech is
done through the screen reader?  I'm not sure about this.  I use speech
a lot, but I don't use a screen reader.