[orca-list] OT - configuring network interfaces to start at boot

I notice when I first start my ubuntu box that I don't have an internet connection until I go into a terminal
window and do

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

Is there a way to make my internet connection active at startup? Some of the threads I've read indicate that
others have had this problem as well but they also suggest that no one has yet to find a reasonable solution.
It could also be that I'm looking in the wrong place too. Any help would be appreciated.
http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/connect_your_way.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_messenger_062008