Re: [orca-list] IBMTTS and slackware

I'd use DecTalk, but I can't risk spending any more for synths that don't
work.  Not only that, but didn't someone say on one of the gnome-orca live
wiki pages, that you gotta rebuild gnome-speech after you install DecTalk
for it to then see it?  I hear this is a really fairly tough process for
someone who like me is s literally a dumb idiot, and no I am not joking,
literally I'm not laughing guys, I mean it.  I am a stupid idiot when it
comes to Linux.  I just don't get any of it.  I know I should but I don't. I
think I would like it if I got good enough speech, and could half way
understand the logic of what I'm doing, but I can't.  BTW, Lorenzo, I was
not trying to rant earlier as you said.  I just don't get why ESpeak has to
sound so flangy.  That is the main thing that makes it very hard for me to
comfortably understand.  Take an old ventage guitar amp, with the flange
control on it.  Turn that dial up all the way, then plug a mike in it
instead of a guitar.  Make sure you have chorus turned off and
over-drive-distortion, reverb, and delay all too.  Now talk in the mike.  Ya
hear that?  That is what I mean about ESpeak.  It isn't artificial sounding,
no, but it's so flangy that it's almost in decipherable for me.  I don't
like Festival, as it's too cacatinated.  It for example instead of saying
the floor is made out of wood, it sounds to me like it's saying:

the floawer is made awalt of awood.  it kind a makes the consinents sler
together with the vowels.  I have this problem with most sapi engines under
Windows too, even the good ones like realspeak, or neo speech.  They're
good, but they give me a tremendously bad head ache after about 5 minutes.
I think I like Eloquence as it has a very deep sharp tone.  My hearing loss
makes it where the higher frequencies, and by higher don't think pitch,
think frequencies here, is just about gone.  IE:  If you turn a light on, I
won't hear it hum, now, granted that's lower, but, turn a TV on and mute it.
I won't hear it's high pitch buzz.  Most people that would drive nuts.  I
think that is why I don't like Eloquence.  I generally lower the pitch on
most things.  Also I find that I do better with male voices than female.
Not that ESpeak is female by default, but I speak more in general.  Not only
this, but I find the volume in ESpeak to be so loud compared to all else
that it just about busts my eardrums.  Yeah, I got incredibly sinsitive
ears, Hell, I'll go running and jump into the nearest person's eyes
literally call me a cry baby but bawling my head off if someone even pops a
balloon within 30 feet of me.  and this wouldn't be the boo hoo hoo either,
this would be more the, I'm so terrified, do not let me go, kind a thing.
You'd be lucky I had no nails or you'd be bleeding as they'd be dug in you.
Now if you ask me:  that's! pretty pathetic.  I'm not a child, no, but you
make a loud noise around me? and boy I will be.  and as a child it was even
worse than it is now.  Anyway, I'm getting off on a tangence.  Point is, I
need something that sounds better.  I can somewhat tollerate DecTalk as long
as I lower the pitch on perfect Paul ever so slightly, but it would not be
prefered.  I'd gladly try it though if I could.  Right now I can't afford it
though, and even if I could, I feel it isn't worth the risk.  I'm frightened
it would not work, then all my dough would be out the door.  Plus, off the
orca live Wiki, when I clicked the link to purchase the synth, I got an
error 404 page could not be displayed, so, that was nice, o, wait.  LOL!
Smile.

Chris.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Gilland: Desktop" <chrisgilland carolina rr com>