[orca-list] installing speech-dispatcher from source

I have just downloaded the .tar fil for Speech-dispatcher.
I have extracted the files but can't find the documentation for
installing.
It states in the readme to look at the install documentation but there
seems to be only one install file in the main directory the archive
manager created and that seems to be an executable file with a lot of
programming code.
I tried setting up the version provided by Ubuntu as a .deb package but
that file spd-conf doesn't seem to be there when I tried to run it from
the Alt F2 unless I have to run it from a terminal or have not correctly
specified the path.
Is it only the latest version which provides a walk through of
configuration settings?