To: <Orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 12:40 PM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Orca with the Skype Public API

Surely there are more pressing priorities than enabling this proprietary
Vo/IP application for Linux? After all, it isn't as if Vo/IP were unable
on Linux. We have the ekiga to run with Orca, linphone to run
terminal/console mode, and even the fully accessible asterisk to provide
all the Vo/IP functionality a pretty large company might need for all
its telephones. Why do we need Skype?

Janina

John Greer writes:
Hello, I was wondering if there were any plans to get Orca to work with
Skype for Linux.  I do know this has been done many times over on the
Windows platform by tapping into the Skype API and using text to speech
to read its messaging system.  After searching though, I have yet to
find anything similar for Linux.  I do realize that Linux is a QT4 app,
but by using its API you can at least gain access to user sign in
notifications, instant messaging and I believe even the contact list.
There is a program for Windows called Skread that did just this sort of
thing using Auto it.  Another screen reader for Windows called System
Access also taps into Skype's public API for the same purposes.  It is
just a shame I haven't seen anything like this for Linux.

Janina Sajka, Phone: +1.202.595.7777; sip:janina a11y org
Partner, Capital Accessibility LLC http://CapitalAccessibility.Com

Chair, Open Accessibility janina a11y org
Linux Foundation http://a11y.org