[orca-list] updating opensolaris

i have just installed opensolaris on my desktop pc.
it doesn't appear to speak on my compaq presario 140 laptop because it doesn't seem to beep or anything when i run the live cd on the laptop.
having now installed it on my desktop, how do i update it?
running the update manager i get a message with orca stating that there are updates but orca then stops speaking. also can software that works in ubuntu ie gtkpod work in opensolaris?