From: orca-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On
Behalf Of ANN
Sent: 23 December 2008 02:14
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: [orca-list] Trying out Orca and Intrepid, but still loosing speech

Hi folks,

Well, sadly, I'm still a Microsoft windows slave. <sob> But, I"m now trying
out Ubuntu Intrepid and Orca. The last time I played with Ubuntu and Orca,
it was version 8.04.

The main issue is that I'm still having the same problem with Orca losing
speech after a while that I had with Ubuntu Feisty. Though, I will admit, it
is much much longer now before Orca looses speech. In Feisty, it only took
about ten to fifteen minutes, and now it takes 30 to forty-five minutes
before i loose all speech. Sometimes, even re-loading Orca does not bring
speech back up, and since I"m totally blind, this means I have to either log
out and log back in again, or just reboot the whole system, and go back to
Windows.

this loss of speech seems to occur whether I'm using the Live Cd, or the
version I installed using the Install Inside of Windows, feature. I wish I
were a programmer, and knew how to write device drivers because I'd
certainly try and write some for my Hardware TripleTalk internal synth
and     not use software speech at all. Thanks.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix this? Is there a quick and easy
way to re-load speech if it crashes? Would disabling Pulse Audio and using
Alsa make things more stable? Is there a more responsive synth then E-speak
out there that can be used with Orca/

Thanks in advance for any advice.

~Ann