Re: [orca-list] installing debian lenny

Ignasi Cambra wrote:
Given that aparently Orca works well on Debian Lenny and that it
shouldn't give us any trouble related to pulseaudio, I thought I might
give it a try. Is the installation accessible? How is a blind person
supposed to do it?

There is also one option which applicable only in certain cases, but is
fully accessible.  This option is debootstrap.  You need to have a
running accessible system on the installed computer.  This may be for
example an Ubuntu live CD.  Debootstrap basically creates a new Debian
base system on a selected disk partition.  Then you can chroot to this
newly created system and install all the needed packages, configure the
boot loader to see this new system and then boot into it.  Of course, it
requires some knowledge to be able to configure the system by hand prior
to booting it, but you have complete control over what is installed and
how it is configured, so you don't need to rely on the installers
capabilities.

As I said, it is not for beginners, but it is a viable option and very
practical in certain situations.

Best regards, Tomas