[orca-list] Vibuntu 1.2 is ready for download!

Vibuntu 1.2 Released!

I am happy to formally announce the realease of Vibuntu 1.2 and I feel that this is a significant release because I have now resolved the problem of Orca beong unable to read admin apps launched from the menus and activated USB Braille Display autoprobing. This was achieved by simply changing the entries in the admin menu so they launched as an ‘application in terminal’ using the sudo or gksu command when necessary. This simply opens a terminal, asks for the admin password if required and then runs the gui application. When you close the application the terminal closes automatically and focus is returned to the Orca window.  The only exception to this is remastersys gui which for some reason does not retain focus, you have to alt+tab to move from the terminal to the remastersys gui. (This is a problem with remastersys rather than Orca/Gnome etc).  Sighted or partially sighted users are advised to open the admin apps using the desktop icons which will run the admin applications in the standard way. (Thanks to Luke Davies for this suggestion) Of course this solution oly works on top of the changes recommended on the Orca SysAdmin page.

The download  URL’s are:

http://www.rnc.ac.uk/mct/linux/vibuntu/Vibuntu-1.2.zip

(This is a zip file containing iso and md5sum)

http://vibuntu.blinuxman.net/  and http://blinuxman.net/vibuntu/

(These are standard iso downloads)

The homepage is here:

http://blinuxman.net/projects/vibuntu.php

I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this project by offering feedback, suggestions and criticisms. I would especially like to thank Osvaldo La Rosa who has enthusiastically taken on the responsibility for hosting a Vibuntu webpage and mirroring the images. This will in all probability be the last release of the year as I now want to take stock of what has been done, make available a list of  features/changes,  instructions on how to create Vibuntu from scratch and a wishlist of possible new features divided into easy, difficult and impossible!

As ever I would appreciate continued feedback and suggestions. I will set up a thread on the Ubuntu Assistive Technology and Accessibility section for people to post their suggestions!

drbongo

Confidentiality: This e-mail and its attachments are intended for the above named only and may be confidential. If they have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone: please reply to this e-mail and highlight the error to the sender.

Security Warning: Please note that e-mail has been created in the knowledge that the Internet e-mail is not a 100% secure communication medium. We advise that you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us.

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus, we advised that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.