Re: [orca-list] Root sudo gksudo confusion

Hi James,

Best practices tell us that yes it's good to have a limited acount but
in Ubuntu if I understand correctly your root and user accounts are
actually tied together.  Some one correct me if I am wrong please.
However, I dislike sudo very much and so I do a special thing to my root
account to make it feel more like Fedora to me.  here is what I do:

Thype this only if you want to change the way the root password is
accessed otherwise it's best to leave this at default if your not
familiar with Linux:

sudo root passwd
(Simply all I am doing is changing the password but I am also getting
rid of the sudo and I can just su in to my account, some people probably
believe this is more unsecure but I prefer it)
Now it asks for your regular password that's the password you are using
to get in to your regular ubuntu account
Then it has new password and new password.
These are found as you hit enter after each piece of info is filled in.
Again if you like the security don't use this but for me it keeps the
root and the normal user password separated.  I also like su much better
than sudo.