Re: [orca-list] [Fwd: FW: Training goals as a Linux hRedhat certified professional]

Hi Scott,
I have done the Redhat certified engineer exam in 2003.
        I had to ask for special permission to be assisted in the parts
where accessibility was an issue.
An example was that as part of the exam, one was given a Linux machine
which did not boot and one had to figure out why and then fix that.
There were some other issues too, but I should think one example is enough
to make the point.
I did pass the exam and was glad I did that.
The one thing which was very inconvenient about the training and
preparation for the exam, was that Redhat refused to provide the course
material in electronic format although it was available.  I ended up
having to scan from paper and it did not OCR very well.
In general, there are good reasons for a blind person to do Linux
training, even if you end up deciding not to go for the
Redhat training.
The two best reasons IMHO, is that even today, one can administer 99
percent of a Linux box through configuration files, not using the GUI.
Orca has come a very very long way in the last few years, so for that one
percent Orca either already works or will do so in the future.
The second good reason is that Linux skills is in demand and the supply is
not so high, so if you can do it well, I think you would be very
marketable.
As far as asterisk goes, I think you can do most things from the cli
interface should the gui not be accessible.
For the record, I am a blind person using speech output not braille on
computers.
Hope this is of help to you.
Regards, Willem van der Walt