[orca-list] what am I missing

Hi all, I am just curious about something missing from my Ubuntu
Intrepid install.  I upgraded from Hardy, and have followed all updates,
since alpha 3.  Everything is working perfectly, except for the fact
that my shutdown menu does not speak.  I did a fresh install from the
Intrepid live CD for my sister, and while using Orca to test everything
out, I realized that her shutdown menu does speak.  The only difference
I can think of between the two machines is that my machine (the upgraded
one) has at-spi, gail, atk and Orca built from latest trunk, and my
sister's hasn't been modified in any way since the Live CD install.  Is
there anything I can do on my machine to get the shutdown menu talking?
Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated.  As always, thanks
in advance, and keep up the good work.

Guy