[orca-list] Questions about speech

Hello Irena,

Yes, Orca comes with Ubuntu, and with average luck, should just work
straight away via your PC speakers.  All the packages you mentioned
are software.

Regards,

Rob

Grace Books writes:
Hello,

I keep trying to learn while waiting for my Ubuntu cd and after reading some messages I have some doubts.
Is Orca a speech software that comes with Ubuntu?
Will I need an external synthesizer or can I use the speakers that came with my pc?
I'm not sure if espeak, festival, Gnome-speech and Speech-dispatcher are software or hardware.
Thank you for any explanation,

Irena