[orca-list] Evolution contacts

Hi All

I thought I'd put together a few notes on using Evolution with orca
however, I'm getting lost in my contacts that were exported from a vcard
file.  I've tried many different options such as view vcard, list etc.
but I'm just lost.  Using flat review keys I hear that there is 150
contacts but I can't get orca to read any of them.

Here's my notes  so far:

Using Evolution With Orca

24/04/08

Versions:

Evolution 2.22.1

Orca 2.22.1

Environment:

Using a AMD64 NVIDIA chipset this machine has an Ubuntu Hardy
development installation. As the official release is only hours away,
the environment should be very close to that of a standard stable Hardy
install.

General Navigation:

It can be a bit disconcerting when the user attempts to tab around
clockwise an environment and comes across a silent edit area and can't
tab further forward. This is not a real problem because in Evolution's
dialogs, <shift key> + <tab key> gets around all the necessary controls
when this barrier is met.

Reading Messages:

In Evolution the user has two choices in the method of reading messages.
Flat review mode and carrot mode. To toggle these modes press <F7 key>.
Both methods have their advantages.

Handling Attachments:

If a message contains an attachment the user can access it in flat
review or carrot mode. In flat review mode, the user navigates to the
line where the attachment is stated by using the <9> and <7> numeric
keys. Then by using the <4> and <6> numeric keys. The user can move to
âsaveâ, for a single attachment. Or to âallâ for more than one
attachments and press the </> âSlash keyâ to left mouse click the
attachment button.

While in carrot mode, the user is required to press <tab key> to the
bottom of the message to the attachment button and press <Enter key>.
Because of some messages being devided into sections it seems difficult
to reach the attachment button while in carrot mode.

Traversing The Folder Tree:

Evolution makes use of edit areas where the user can type the first
letter/s required to jump to the desired folder or message. For example,
say there is a folder at level 2 called âLinuxListsâ and a sub folder at
level 3 called âFriends/Lindaâ. When the focus is on the folder tree, if
âlindâ is typed and followed by a <tab key> key press. Focus is put on
theLinda folder. This works for moving to or moving a single or group of
messages to a particular folder. It even works for creating a folder.
For example, if the user wanted to add a new folder in the âFriendsâ
folder called âJoeâ. After selecting <File/New/New Folder> or by right
clicking or pressing the <Application key>. Typing âJoeâ in the
presented edit field and tabbing once. If âFriendsâ is the first item
beginning with âFâ by typing âfâ and <Tab key> the focus is placed on
the âFriendsâ item of the folder tree. Pressing <Enter key> will
generate the new folder.

Message Rules:

Evolution uses the right click or <Application key> in a very effective
way. To create a message rule to move a message from the Orca email list
for example, it couldn't be easier. While focus is upon a message from
the Orca list. Simply press the <Application key>, <Up Arrow key> to
loop around to the bottom item of the menu. <Right Arrow key> and <Up
Arrow key> again to âFilter Based on Mailing Listâ and <Enter key>.
Brings up a dialog with many controls but by just tabbing around the
user is eventually invited to âclick hereâ to select a folder where
future posts from the Orca list are to be automatically be placed. Of
course it's the familiar folder tree again.

The activation and generation of rules can be done from the âMessage
Pull-Down Menuâ whereas the editing, ordering and deleting rules is
found on the âEdit Pull-Down Menuâ.

--
Gena

http://www.ready2golinux.com