Re: [orca-list] PDF-files and Orca

Steve and Jason:

The OO File Export to PDF menu includes a checkbox for including PDF
tags. I have not tested its results.

You might also find the following two web pages helpful:

http://ui.openoffice.org/accessibility/#content

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=office-accessibility

Janina

Jason White writes:
On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 11:04:07PM -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:

Thanks for the referral; it was interesting reading.  It's a bit dated
but a quick intro to the Open Office.org product.  I've had little
practice with it so far but looked promising from what I've seen so
far.  I played with a MS Word originated document as well as an excel
spreadsheet and they both came and read quite snappily.  It sounds
like it's a lot of work to get an HTML out of OOo and get it all
cleaned up but I recall that MS Word does the same thing; they try and
include so much mark-up - even the stuff that is unnecessary given
what we want or need in an HTML document.

I just write my documents in LaTeX and use tex4ht to produce HTML (or XHTML)
versions. Using pdflatex I can create what I am reliably informed are
beautifully typeset PDF files that can be displayed on screen or printed. When
posting to my Web site, I simply upload both the HTML and the PDF files, which
are linked from an HTML page, so that readers can choose the format which they
prefer.

There are also various tools that can produce slides from LaTeX or XHTML
sources. When next I need to give a presentation with slides, perhaps Firefox
3 with Orca and a series of HTML files, one per slide, would be the most
convenient solution, using a braille display to navigate through the slides
during the presentation.