Re: [orca-list] Evolution Questions

Funny, I've not had any of these problems with Evolution. Of course, I've never used it in any way other than where it pulls the local spool folders into itself at startup. I already had getmail set up from cron to download my mail, so I found it easiest to have Evolution just read the spool. I did have problems when I had it reading the spool directly rather than moving it into its own internal folders. In that case, there were a lot of errors with database corruption. With the current setup, it works reasonably well for me. The most important thing is to make sure caret mode is on in the view menu. After that, use F6 to move between the folders, messages, and preview pane. The preview pane works best for me, as it doesn't get the cursor stuck in the message header. Still, I agree that some progress messages would be nice.

Instead of resorting to control-alt-backspace, try logging in as root on another virtual console, then doing "killall orca." Then, go back to your X session, hit alt-F2, and type "orca" to restart it. I've also found it occasionally necessary to kill and restart speech-dispatcher. This is very rare, however.