Re: [orca-list] Help for a new synthesiser

Basically, the trick is to get your synthesiser to use Alsa for audio
playback.

If you are using speech-dispatcher, just make sure it is configured to
use alsa for audio output for your chosen synthesiser. As far as I can
tell, speech-dispatcher supports alsa for all available synthesisers,
it certainly does for ibmtts, espeak, cicero and festival. Also, as of
version 0.6.4, Alsa is the default audio output method.

With gnome-speech, audio playback is left to the synthesisers. Thus,
you should make sure the driver for your synthesiser is compiled or
configured to use alsa. For espeak, this means compiling against port
audio 19. Another alternative is to use the OSS emulation of alsa via
the "aoss" utility. It will preload some libraries that intercept
accesses to /dev/dsp and redirect them to alsa. Whether this solution
works depends on your sound card and the chosen tts.

Best regards, Lukas

Cleverson writes ("[orca-list] Help for a new synthesiser"):
As you know, some Orca users have problems in Ubuntu 7.04, as certain
sound cards are not able to reproduce music and other sounds while Orca
is speaking.

I've read that this problem has been fixed, but I could not find that
topic again, and I don't have idea how this problem was resolved
technically speaking.

My question is, in order for a given synthesiser not to conflict with
other sounds while being used with Orca, does it need to be compiled
with support to a specific feature, e.g. portaudio 19, Or is it a
problem for Gnome Speech / speech-dispatcher instead?

Many thanks

Cleverson

"Be realistic; ask for the impossible."