Re: [orca-list] Running administrative programs under Ubuntu Gutsy

System admin access is priveledged access. This is part of the reason
why Linux and Unix systems are so much more secure than that other
consumer grade OS.

If you want certain users to exercise an administrative priveledge, you
can add them to the wheel group in /etc/group, then run visudo and
uncomment the appropriate line of your choosing near the bottom of the
configuration file you will be in. Thereafter those users can execute
administrative commands preceeded by the sudo modifier like this:

sudo mke2fs /dev/sdb1

Now, the gui admin applications aren't nearly so flexible. Beyond the
fact that most of them are written using older GTK toolkits which do not
support a11y, do they even automagically respond via sudo when some user
had sudo priveledges? I don't know. The cli has always sufficed for my
admin needs.

Janina

Chris Norman writes:
Hi all,
I'm pretty sure this will have been asked before, but google told me
nothing.

How can I run administrative programs as my regular user, without having
to go through the hastle of launching orca as root and all that sort of
stuff?

I'm sure it's possible, and I think it should be possible by default,
but there you go...

Cheers all,

--

Chris Norman