Re: [orca-list] Booting Ubuntu into Orca involves too much complicatedkey-sequence (F5, Down, Down, Down, Enter)

That would be nice or some how set up a talking boot menu like oralux had.

Mike
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 7:54 AM
Subject: [orca-list] Booting Ubuntu into Orca involves too much complicatedkey-sequence (F5, Down, Down, Down, Enter)

Hi there,

In Ubuntu, during the boot stage the user is shown the following options after pressing F5 (See Accessible Install of Ubuntu Feisty ):

  • None (has focus)
  • High Contrast
  • Magnifier
  • Screen Reader
  • Keyboard Modifiers
  • On Screen Keyboard
I this that the 'Screen Reader' option should be the first option, so that in order to save a blind user from counting the number of times that he/she have to press the 'Down' button.

Actually, it would be better if the 'Screen Reader' had its own function key assigned to, say F10, so that blind users can start Orca with one press of a button, rather than having to press 'F5, Down, Down, Down, Enter', which seems a bit demanding, considering the fact that typing the wrong key sequence results in an un-usable boot from the view point of a blind person.

I guess it would be hard to persuade Ubuntu team to allocate a function key for Orca in the main boot menu, but it worth a shot.

Promoting the 'Screen Reader' option be the first option in the 'F5' menu is also an adequate solution, as the user would only press 'F5, Enter'.

What do you think?

Tomer