Re: [orca-list] orca, evolution and keyring manager

Hi Michael:

My very limited understanding of a related problem is that there's some sort of async/sync interaction mode when an application works with gnome-keyring. I believe that interacting using the synchronous calls can cause things to behave very badly, and applications are encouraged to use the asynchronous calls.

I just don't know enough about the problem, though, to help debug this or offer areas where a patch might be needed. My understanding, however, is that a fix is needed in the application. Joanie is the member of the Orca community who is closest to this problem, however, and might be able to provide some better insight.

Will

Michael Whapples wrote:
Hello,
I have noticed recently, that when I try and access my email in
evolution, when keyring manager asks for the default keyring password
(as I have one accounts password remembered), things seem to lock up
entirely (I mean to the stage where ctrl+alt+backspace won't close the X
session or ctrl+alt+delete won't restart the computer, in fact no key
press does anything) and I have to resort to the buttons on the front of
the tower case to restart. I find if I go to keyring manager before
starting evolution, so that the default keyring is asked for then and
not when evolution starts things are fine (even orca reads the password
prompt for the default keyring password.

This problem seemed to occur when I updated Orca from SVN (using trunk),
and was still present when I updated Orca yesterday (r3070). This
problem seemed to occur when I updated and Orca required pyat-spi, but
because pyat-spi wasn't included on my system, I updated at-spi from
1.18.1 to 1.20.1 (using the same SlackBuild script as was used for the
1.18.1 package creation, with modifications to the version number only).
My system is running Slackware 12.0 with gnome slacky 2.18.3 for
Slackware 12.0. I did not have this problem before updating orca to the
version requiring pyat-spi and the update to at-spi (Orca did not always
read the keyring password prompt, but it never locked up).

Any thoughts on why I am getting this problem, and what might be causing
it?

From
Michael Whapples