[orca-list] update manager

I have a few questions about Update Manager in Gutsy when using Orca.
Is the download updates setting in Orca preferences supposed to read
the status of downloaded updates?
I ask because a few minutes ago I did an update of my desktop and
although I could read certain information like the updates recognised
by my system with Orca there was no spoken message when the updates
finished downloading.
Also why is it that my desktop recognised there were updates yet my
laptop didn't appear to show any updates?
I would have thought if my desktop machine stated that there were
updates my laptop would have produced a similar notification when I
logged into Ubuntu on it.
My desktop is connected to my wireless router using the Ethernet
connection and I just use my USB stick for my wireless on my laptop
but I don't have both machines on at the same time which is why I ask
about updates.