[orca-list] Top and bottom panel have gone, how can I get them back?

Hi,
last Sunday I installed Gutsy on my notebook (Acer with 2,7 Ghz and 512
MB RAM).
Everything went right so far, but since yesterday morning I had to
realize, that the top and bottom panels of the desktiop have
disappeared. I only can reach the desktop.
With Alt+F1 I can open the top panel and its menus, but the bottom
panel, and that means the taskbar, is unreachable. Main effect: When I
switch between apps, I can't hear anything.
What did I do till Tuesday? Updated Orca to 2.20.1, installed
speech-dispatcher, changed the laptop keyboard layout for better
usability for German, and finally checked several settings in the
system menu in order to find that well hiddeen feature of starting Orca
with the login procedure. I also installed FF3 (nightly build).
What can I do to restore the original desktop environment?
Best regards
Hermann

--
I use grml (http://grml.org/)