Re: [orca-list] tried to change parameters for sd and orca crashed.

--- Begin Message ---
Hello,
Firstly I think you added the punctuation option wrongly, if you look in espeak-generic.conf you will find the following line (NOTE it may go over more than one line here due to line wrapping):
GenericExecuteSynth \
"echo \"$DATA\" | speak -w /tmp/espeak.wav -v $VOICE -s $RATE -a $VOLUME -p $PITCH --stdin && aplay /tmp/espeak.wav"

To add all punctuation symbols change it to the following:
GenericExecuteSynth \
"echo \"$DATA\" | speak --punct -w /tmp/espeak.wav -v $VOICE -s $RATE -a $VOLUME -p $PITCH --stdin && aplay /tmp/espeak.wav"

If you only want some punctuation characters (here I will do it as if it were the characters !?.,;:) then you change it to the following:
GenericExecuteSynth \
"echo \"$DATA\" | speak --punct=\"!?.,;:\" -w /tmp/espeak.wav -v $VOICE -s $RATE -a $VOLUME -p $PITCH --stdin && aplay /tmp/espeak.wav"

As another note, I have used the speak command, but this is from when espeak only had the speak command, but the espeak command should work just the same.

As a comment about if you want to create an espeak specific speech-dispatcher driver, then I would say looking at the speech-dispatcher documentation which can also be viewed at the freebsoft website (www.freebsoft.org). I am not sure that it is alsa which leads to a smoother sound, but rather the fact that a player is playing the audio after the synthesis. ALSA does have certain advantages, which is why I say that any development which is started now should use ALSA (advantages are things like software mixing if the hardware doesn't support it (why you could have music playing whilst having speech output), the configurability of the drivers, and simply the fact that they are the current system preferred in the kernel).

From
Michael Whapples
----- Original Message ----- From: "krishnakant Mane" <researchbase gmail com>