Re: [orca-list] GNOME Weather applet?

Willie Walker <William Walker Sun COM> writes:

Coming in the future to braille may be some sort of "display message
with timeout" feature.  This would allow a message to display for a
period of time and then return to displaying the current object with
focus.  It's an idea I've resisted for a while, but Mike keeps wearing
me down on the subject.

Options are always good, but may I say, I think your initial gut
feeling about this is pretty right.  Whenever I face a message
displayed for a certain time delay, I am anoyed
by it.  Some console apps do that (like lynx).  I think
auto-timeout messages in braille should only be used if the user
requests such behaviour...

Let me rephrase my question:  Is there
a way to programmatically replace the accessible name
of a certain object on the desktop in Orca?  With this, I could replace
"GNOME Wather" (which is currently displayed in braille and spoken
when I cycle through the panel applets) with some custom
created string.

Aha!  I see now.  I'm not sure about this - I've never really tried
modifying the name attribute of an accessible object from an assistive
technology.  If you wanted to hack a little bit, you might try
explicitly setting obj.name, where obj is the Python accessible that you
somehow magically discovered.

I guess the discovering is the interesting part here.  Out of curiosity (I
haven't tried it yet), does Orca work with at-poke, or what
tool for introspecting the accessible object hierarchy are orca
using developers supposed to use?

--
CYa,
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang db debian org