Orca orca startup problems

Hello,
I'm running ubuntu feisty and orca 1.17.92.  I also have a braille
display and can start brltty.

I can start orca with alt-f2 but it dies after 3 or 4 keystrokes.
I then tried to run it from a text console to get some informative
diagnostics but it couldn't connect to
the X session.  It's looking for the DISPLAY environment variable.  What
value do I put in this magic variable?

There's a chance that some of my ubuntu packages are not properly
configured, but everything in the ubuntu-desktop appears to be installed
according to aptitude.

tia for your help
Chris