Re: [orca-list] Linux and Orca Newbie.

Hi Amy.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux. I suggest you make the Orca wiki your first port of call before raising issues here:

http://live.gnome.org/Orca

The wiki includes instructions on how to install the latest version of Firefox:

http://live.gnome.org/Orca/Firefox

and a list of other programs known to work with Orca:

http://live.gnome.org/Orca/AccessibleApps

I can't replicate your problem with Orca reading the entire sentence every time you type a word in OpenOffice.org, nor do I know what you meant by "lists". You might try getting the latest development version, building from source, and seeing if that fixes your issue:

http://urlx.org/live.gnome.org/fe7d8

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis

Amy Mason wrote:
Dear list,

Hello, my name is Amy Mason, and I am a legally blind computer user.  I
joined this list because I really want to see Orca succeed, but to be
honest, I haven't had much luck in getting it running on my own system.  It
is probably because I am very new to Linux as well as Orca, and am unsure as
to how to begin.  To give you a little background, I am running Ubuntu
7.04pretty much as is.  I want to use Orca's speech package, as
software
magnification is not an option for me. I was told in the ubuntu help forums how to update orca to the latest build, and followed the instructions to the
letter.   The updates appear to be successful, and I can run orca, but I
have several issues I am unsure how to resolve.

1.  I have read that to use the internet with orca, I need to install
firefox 3.0.  The only 3.0 I have seen is the alpha development version. Is
this what I should be running, and if so, how do I  install it?

2.  Is there a way to make orca stop reading after I have gotten the
information I want or need?  For example, In lists, or when I type in open
office, it keeps rereading the sentence thus far, plus the new information
each time I type.  in a manner where I would hear- s so som some somet all
the way through until my sentence is complete. I am hopeful that there is a
way to stop orca from doing this as it cannot keep up with my typing or
navigation and I am left with it talking the entire time but not telling me
what I am doing on the screen.

If I could get far enough along to handle these issues, I believe that I
could start to use orca and Ubuntu for some of my daily tasks.  As it is, I
dual boot into windows, and it is sadly getting most of my attention.

I apologize if my questions sound inane, but this is my first linux
experience, and I really would like to learn.

Also, in a slightly unrelated topic, what other programs should I look into
getting to make my ubuntu more useful.   Are there other accessibility
programs I should look at using in tandem with orca? I would appreciate any
help you can give me.

Thanks,

Amy Mason